Sunday, April 7, 2013

Horses tell on them selves

     Horses are honest creatures. They will tell you when their about to act up and if your paying attention they will even tell you where. Foxie for instance is a good one for bowing her neck right where she is thinking about trying to quit on me. Over the last month or so she quit but if I miss a couple of days in a row, she doesn't seem to feel that she needs to go back to work.
     When I'm giving a lesson to a new student I almost always start off with lunging the horse,because first and for most it's a great way to see what the horse's mood is before you start and second the bast way to show someone the body language and movement of a horse is on the ground where they can see it for them selves.
     For reasons I don't understand the importance of ground work has gotten lost. For every discipline I've even have been involved  in grown work like long line, and lunging are always the foundation to a good start to building a good working communication with your horse. not to mention it's a great way to learn your horses tells.
     As for lessons I've found it makes it easier and quicker for the student to learn how to read a horse.


No comments:

Post a Comment